A fraction (from the Latin word fractus "broken") is a part of something. Typically the parts are split into equal sizes such as halves, thirds, quarters, fifths and so on.
Use this calculator to add, subtract, multiply and divide fractions. Enter the integers for each fraction, choose the operation to perform with the select menu and click the "calculate" button to get the result.
How to Add or Subtract Fractions
Here are the steps to take when adding or subtracting fractions:
- Find the lowest common denominator.
- On the denominator of the first fraction find the number it needs to be multiplied by to get the LCD.
- Use that number to multiply both the numerator and denominator of the first fraction.
- Repeat the last two steps on the other fractions.
- Add or subtract the numerators depending on which operation you're doing.
- Convert improper fractions to mixed numbers.
- Reduce the resulting fraction to the lowest terms.
How to Multiply Fractions
Here are the steps to take when multiplying fractions:
- Multiply all numerators together
- Multiply all denominators together
- Reduce the result to lowest terms
How to Divide Fractions
Here are the steps to take when dividing fractions:
- Turn the second fraction (the one you want to divide by) upside down.
- Multiply the numerators using the result of flipping the second fraction.
- Multiply the denominators using the result of flipping the second fraction.